This is Texas chili and that means no beans. It's also insanely good. Boot scootin' good.
Print this Recipe
Order Spice Blends
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes or beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 1/4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 3/4-inch cubes, or pork stew meat, cubed
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups diced yellow onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 8 cloves garlic, diced and smashed
- 4 cups water or stock/broth
- 12 ounces beer
- 3 tablespoons Smiling Coyote Farm Pure Chile Powder
- 3 tablespoons Smiling Coyote Farm Smoky Southwest Blend
- 3 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Combine Pure Chile Powder and Smoky Southwest in a small bowl, mix well.
- Heat 7-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil, heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add beef chuck or stew meat, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon spice mix. Stir to combine.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, browning exterior of meat (4 minutes). Meat won't cook through, but exterior browns and edges caramelize a little.
- Transfer beef to large bowl with slotted spoon, drain fat from pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to Dutch oven, heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add pork shoulder or stew meat, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon spice mix. Brown 3 to 4 minutes as above.
- Transfer pork to bowl with beef using slotted spoon, drain fat from pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add ground beef, 1 teaspoon salt, and one teaspoon spice meat, stir to combine. Brown 4 – 5 minutes as above.
- Transfer ground beef to bowl with beef and pork using slotted spoon, drain fat from pan.
- Add remaining one tablespoon oil, heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onion, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté, stirring, 3—5 minutes until soft and edges browned. Add garlic in final 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a slow boil. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, simmer for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.